Thursday, March 20, 2014

Travel Day one

  It is one in the morning here and it already can't sleep.  We crashed in our beds at 7pm.  We flew yesterday with United into Beijing.  Our flights were smooth minus the last twenty minutes.  I have never gotten sick flying and almost had the joy of that first yesterday.  We each had tv's with on demand choices.  Brandon got caught up watching some of the Oscar nominate films.  While I watched some movies I had already seen but knew I loved.  I was needing light hearted.  The food was alright.  I do have to say I loved the snack( thanks United for the gelato!!).  I didn't like the breakfast they served at the end and probably shouldn't have ate it.  But I didn't know when I would be offered food again!
Our flight came in an hour early.  Customs was easy breezy. Then since we were so early we beat our guide by a few minutes.  In true Heidi fashion I started to panic.  In true Brandon fashion he was calm as ever and told me to cool it.  Our guide "Heidi" showed up a few minutes later with a beautiful bouquet of flowers for me.  She had brought her five year old son with her Ethan.  The drive to the hotel took about 40 minutes.  Traffic in Beijing is crazy!  We are very lucky because there is not as much smog expected this weekend.  It was apparently very bad the last two weeks.  You do see a lot of folks wearing their masks around.  I was also really happy that our driver for the weekend has seat belts! Thank You!
We are staying at the Inner Mongolia Grand in Beijing.  The Beijing portion of the trip I had to book on my own.  Our agency takes care of all the booking in Ivy's providential city and consulate city.  So I found a guide who has booked everything for us. Talk about stepping out into faith. But God has certainly been on our side on this trip.
The hotel is very nice.  We cannot figure out the ac unit in room. Every time we try to turn it on it gets to be about 100 degrees or whatever 28 c is.  It sure is hot! So we got the staff to bring us a fan.  And I don't think any of the staff speak English. So that was an adventure itself.  Only disappointing thing is there is no wifi in our room.  So we have to go to the lobby.    I will try to post our pictures tonight from my real camera.  We just have been scared to try and charge it and not blow it up.  We did get the cell phones charged.  Our plans changed a little and we are going to the Great Wall today instead of tomorrow.  Michelle Obama is visiting Beijing today and our guide is worried they will close the forbidden city when she is here.  Thank you for covering us in your prayers.  Please continue to pray for Ivy as her whole world is about to change.  I am feeling so at peace now being in Ivy's home country.  Three more nights in the orphanage and then forever Ivy Elizabeth Setchel.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment